Split-tender is the ability of a WIC participant at the point of sale (POS) to redeem a single WIC food item using WIC CashValue Benefits (CVB) and one or more other types of tender. Split-tender enables a WIC participant to reduce the balance of CVB in a WIC EBT account to $0.00 and avoid any loss of benefit value.
Here is how it works:
- During a WIC transaction, if MobiWIC determines that a customer has insufficient benefits to cover a fruit/vegetable (CVB) transaction, the cashier will be prompted with a message on the device screen:
- NO: Alternate form of payment (Split-Tender) is declined. The item may now be manually voided from transaction
- YES: Item will be added to the transaction. You may also continue adding other items, as long as they are not CVB items, before completing the transaction.
- Subtotal and confirm the transaction as usual. You will be prompted to confirm that another form of payment has been received before the transaction is finalized
- NO: Alternate form of payment (Split-Tender) declined. Returned to the transaction screen where the item may be manually voided
- YES: Split-Tender is confirmed, card is decremented for remaining (CVB) balance. Transaction is completed as usual